Biesecker’s Mill

Aka Gross / Julius / Eisenhart Mill


John Stouffer built the first mill here in 1775. Michael Stover built the current mill in 1843. Stover owned the mill for twelve years, followed by Samuel Gross. Gross sold it to William Julius in 1872. It was called “Julius’ Mill” for many years.

Elmer Eisenhart became the owner in 1905 and owned it for about fifteen years. John F. Biesecker purchased the propery in 1920 and the Biesecker family operated the mill until it closed in 1995.

The mill was powered by a 20×5 foot, overshot waterwheel supplemented by a Fitz turbine. Water power ended in 1972 when Hurricane Agnes damaged the water works. A diesel engine provided power until the mill closed. The machinery was sold at auction in 2007.

SPOOMPA-067-003
Water SourceLittle Conewago Creek
WatershedConewago Creek
TownshipJackson
Location39.943388, -76.862368