Menges Mill

Aka Hershey’s Mill / Colonial Valley


This is one of the early mill seats in York County. As a matter of fact, the first mill here predates the county.

 In 1734, Andrew Hershey received a warrant for 600 acres from Lord Baltimore. Andrew’s son, Andrew, Jr., built a mill on the property near to where the Monacacy Road crossed the West Branch of the Codorus Creek. Milling operations began in 1748. Andrew died two years later, and his brother John took over the business, purchasing the property in 1762. After eighteen years, business was good enough that he was able to rebuild the mill. John ran the mill for another 33 years until his death, after which his son, John, Jr. took over operations. After John, Jr.’s death in 1829, the mill property went to his son-in-law, Abraham Hiestand. Abraham owned the mill for about eight years until Peter Menges took the helm.

The Menges family owned and operated the mill until 1963 when they converted it into a tourist attraction. The mill fell into disrepair for many years until it was purchased in 2014 and converted into a Halloween attraction called “Kim’s Krypt” (https://kimskrypt.com/)


5932 Colonial Valley Road, Spring Grove, PA 17362.

1st mill 1748
Structure3.5-Story Stone
Dimensions50 x 60
Water SourceCodorus Creek WB
TownshipHeidelberg
Power2 Overshot, Steam
Capacity35-40 bbl/day
DispositionBusiness