Aka James Keiser Mill

Taken from the Muddy Creek Forks website: https://maandparailroad.com/tour_rollermills.php
A series of flour mills have operated on this site since at least 1759. It is not clear whether any part of the original mill remains in the current structure, however, the fieldstone foundation with wooden beam lintels is consistent with 18th century practice. The mill was rebuilt in 1847 by James Maffett shortly after he purchased Muddy Creek Forks.
In 1888 the property and mill were bought by A. M. Grove. In about 1890 he rebuilt the mill, adding a third story to provide space to install the equipment for a fully automated roller process flour mill. He also installed two water turbines to power the mill. With these improvements it became a large scale commercial mill, producing fine quality white flour, which was packed in 98-pound cloth bags and shipped in full boxcar loads. Later 49-pound paper bags such as the one shown here were used. The mill was also known for its buckwheat flour, which was ground on the burr stones, packed in sturdy paper bags, and shipped to Baltimore in the baggage car of the passenger trains.
| First Mill | 1759 |
| Current Mill | 1890 |
| Structure | 3.5-Story Frame |
| Type | Flour |
| Power | Overshot, Turbine |
| Head | 12 feet |
| Disposition | Museum |
| SPOOM | PA-067-020 |
| Water Source | Muddy Creek NB |
| Watershed | Muddy Creek NB |
| Township | Lower Chanceford |
| Location | 39.80814, -76.47491 |


