Aka Brillinger’s / Rudy’s Mill

This mill, like the Loucks mill above is a very early mill site. In fact, the first mill on this site, built around 1750, was constructed on land that had been patented by the Lord Baltimore of the Province of Maryland. The first settlers of the property were John and Christian Bixler. The Penn’s issued their own deed for the property to Christian Bixler in 1763. But it wasn’t until four years later that the official boundary between Pennsylvania and Maryland was officially established.
It was known as Brillinger’s mill from 1799 until 1873. In the 1830s, the Brillinger Mill dam served as lock #5 on the Codorus Navigation System. It became Rudy’s mill in 1875 and was called by that name until William Franklin Mundis bought the property in 1920. The Mundis family continued to operate the mill into the late 1970s.
3548 N Sherman St Ext, York PA.
| 1st mill | c1750 |
| Structure | 3.5-Story Stone |
| Dimensions | 40 x 45 |
| Water Source | Codorus Creek |
| Township | East Manchester |
| Power | 3 Turbines, Electric |
| Head | 7 feet |
| Disposition | Storage |
